Herefordshire FHS are also holding Free Zoom Meetings, see here https://www.herefordshirefhs.org.uk/meetings/
Zoom Meetings at 7-30pm (Meeting open from 7pm)
Login to the Members Area to get the passcode or Request via our Facebook Page
Tuesday 8th June 2021
Understanding & Using the Findmypast Website
Learn more than just how to search for anything on the Findmypast website.
All of us, beginners and experienced family historians, can benefit from an overview on how to effectively use this major genealogical site. It’s not that it’s difficult to use. It’s just that the sheer size, the breadth of records, and multiple levels of search screens can be overwhelming.
John Hanson offers an in-depth look that covers:
– How to explore the website;
– How to find all the types of records held;
– Tips on the best way to search.
County material from the lecture
- County Records Office material including
- Hosts Cheshire, Devon, Hampshire (Portsmouth History Centre), Hertfordshire, Kent (Canterbury and Kent Archives), Lancashire Archives, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Manchester, Norfolk, Royal Archives, Rutland, Shropshire, Staffordshire, all of Wales and the Yorkshire Archive Consortium plus
- Cambridgeshire, Cornwall, Derbyshire, Dorset, Durham, Hampshire, Kent, Northamptonshire, Northumberland, Nottinghamshire, Somerset, Suffolk and Wiltshire transcriptions from family history societies
Tuesday 13th July 2021
Posted in the Past.
A soldier killed in the First World War, the man who helped prepare Lord Kitchener’s last meal and a 10-year-old servant working for a laundress in 19th-century Bath are all connected by messages sent using the first real social media phenomenon of the 20th century. Drawing on the research from my collection of postcards, I will share some of the stories in an illustrated talk.
Tuesday 10th August 2021
Ideas for researching Non-Conformist ancestors.
Tuesday 14th September 2021
We don’t want any…Master’s not in” What REALLY happened on Census night
Thursday October 21st 2021
Powys FHS AGM – Drone Archaeology of Powys. Film and slide show by Julian Ravest.
Tuesday 9th November
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
An illustrated talk reflecting on the origins of the Commission and how it manages to to inspire new generations to honour those who fell for their country.
An extraordinary organisation created by extraordinary people – all blessed with extraordinary vision.
- Exploring your Ancestor’s Parish Church & Churchyard
Handout at www.chfh.co.uk/handouts
Brecknock Group Meetings
All meetings held at The Kensington Baptist Church, Kensington Terrace, Brecon, LD3 9AY at 7-30pm
Map of the venue
Montgomery Group Meetings
All Meetings are held at the Hafren Room, Abermule Community Centre. SY15 6ND, on Saturdays, at 2pm.
Good parking available on-site
Map of the Venue
Radnorshire Group Meetings – Llanddewi Ystradenny Village Hall at 7pm.
All meetings are on the third Thursday of the month, commencing at 7.pm.
Light refreshments are served after the meetings.